Skylab is an AI photo processing service that makes high quality retouching accessible to anyone in the world.
Raleigh, NC – ImageQuix, a leading provider of workflow and ecommerce software for the high-volume photography industry, is thrilled to announce the acquisition of Skylab, an innovative photo processing service that makes high quality retouching accessible to anyone in the world.
Founded by accomplished photographer TJ Rak and machine learning expert Alireza Shafaei, PhD, Skylab has enabled users across the globe with professional-quality photo retouching capabilities — processing 125 million images and counting to date.
This acquisition follows closely on the heels of the recent announcement of the addition of Fotomerchant to the ImageQuix portfolio.
“After working in close partnership with TJ, Alireza, and the Skylab team since 2020, we are delighted to officially welcome them to our growing portfolio of industry-leading software solutions for photographers,” said Alex Kovacevic, CEO of ImageQuix. “Skylab’s focus on developing innovative technology in an intuitive and user-friendly way is unmatched and will provide immense value to all of our customers moving forward.”
“When Alireza and I met while he was in the University of British Columbia Computer Science PhD program, I knew that my background in high volume photography and his brilliance in machine learning would lead to great things,” said Rak, CEO and co-founder of Skylab. “I’m so proud of the work we’ve done to develop a tool that’s affordable, accessible, and reduces production time by 90% — saving photographers of all skill levels invaluable time. Having worked closely with Tim, Alex, and the ImageQuix team, I’m energized by what we will be able to accomplish together.”
Mayur Desai, Managing Director at Charlesbank said, “Along with the recent acquisition of Fotomerchant, this latest addition to the ImageQuix portfolio of photography software solutions is a win-win-win for high-volume photographers everywhere. The combination of expertise, innovation, and resources across ImageQuix, Fotomerchant, and now Skylab will empower studios with unmatched solutions and services to drive improved efficiency and greater revenue.”
Since establishing its headquarters in Raleigh, North Carolina, in 2018, ImageQuix has experienced 10x growth in employees and 20x growth in revenue as a result of steady year-over-year organic growth complemented by strategic growth via mergers and acquisitions. Approximately 60 percent of employees are based in the North Carolina headquarters with the remaining 40 percent distributed across the United States, Canada, United Kingdom, and Australia.
ImageQuix provides end-to-end workflow management and ecommerce solutions to professional photographers. Together, ImageQuix, PhotoLynx, Fotomerchant, Studio Ninja, and Capturelife deliver the tools photographers and studios of all sizes need to grow their businesses, improve productivity, reduce costs, and provide outstanding pictures to their customers.
Skylab was founded in 2018 by TJ Rak, a photographer with 15 years of industry experience, and Alireza Shafaei, a machine learning PhD. Part AI-powered photo processing service, part magic wand, Skylab inspires millions of people around the globe to see themselves just as they want to be seen.
Senior Director, Marketing